Hello my friends, and thank you for stopping by today for our weekly Prayers for the Week post! There was a lot going on at church this week, and it, in many ways drew me to write about evangelism, our topic for today.
Jesus is very clear in what he expects of us — just take a look at the Great Commision, particularly, Matthew 28:19 – 20, where Jesus tells us:
“Go therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
On Tuesday night, I had the distinct honor of listening to David, a young man born in Iran, talk about how the Bible is being spread throughout Iran, at great risk to those that are caught with it. I learned of Farshid, who is in prison, an Iranian Christian minister, who wrote a letter to David, and when David read it to us in our Bible Study session, I felt like I was listening to the Apostle Paul. My friends, hearing about life in Iran for a Christian was very convicting to me. My friends, despite all of the problems we have in our country today, Christians today lead a very blessed life.
I ask that you pray for all of the Christians around the world, for all of those that are living in fear of persecution, and despite that, are still spreading the Word of God. My friends, I also ask you to look at yourself — as I am — and ask yourself these questions: Am I doing enough to spread the Word of God, the Love that Jesus has for us, to those around me? If I am not, why is that, and what can I do to improve on this?
- I’ve got two prayer requests for Levi, who was lifted up in prayer last week. Please keep him and his family in your prayers. Here are the requests, one from Jess, and one from Barbara:I will continue to pray for dear Levi. What a horrific accident!
Levi is still in critical condition. Took a turn for worse this morning and needs to be lifted up in prayer.
- Joanne left a prayer request for those affected by the terrible tornadoes last week:
Please pray for all the people affected by tonight’s tornado outbreak in the Midwest. I am horrified by the pictures but I pray that they find comfort.
- Heather left both a praise and a prayer request. Here is what she wrote:I want to thank Mike for this wonderful, wonderful place where we can share our joys and troubles and know that we are loved and will be lifted up in prayer. Right now, my life is undergoing a monumental change with a death in the family and the sudden addition of a very sweet, yet sad little boy who has already had such a rough start and now this too. Yet, when I come here my heart is lifted and I feel peace. So, thanks Mike for this place!
Here is my response to her:
Heather, thank you for your comment — what you wrote touches my heart, and I am glad that this simple ministry has enabled you to find some Peace. I will pray for you in both your loss and your gain, and that through God’s love, you and the young boy will find joy and happiness together. May God comfort you, give you Peace, and strength in all the days ahead. I have two verses that I store right by my heart that I’m sharing with you, I think you will appreciate them:John 16:33 (Jesus Speaking): “I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”
Also, with regards to the little boy who has come into your life, teach him this verse — it will serve him throughout his life:
Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
Show this young boy in your life that God is looking after him, tell him that through God all things are possible, and show him that the love you have for him is small compared to the love that God has for all of us.
Thank you for stopping by, and please keep us updated on how things are going for you all.
In His Service,
- Please pray for my friend Theresa, here is what she wrote on Facebook:Everyone, please pray for my cousin Joseph Chipchase. His heart is failing and he needs all the prayers he can get! Thank you.
- Prayers needed for Virginia State Senator Creigh Deeds, who was stabbed and is in critical condition, and his son, who was shot and killed. Here is what I saw on FB from my friend Tracey:A sad day here in Virginia. Prayers appreciated. Va State Senator stabbed and in critical condition, his 24 year old son was shot and killed. Also, an early morning shooting at one of Liberty University’s housing areas leaves one student dead after an altercation with a campus police officer. (Matt attends Liberty University. Campus is open).
UPDATE: Investigators believe Virginia state Sen. Creigh Deeds was stabbed by his son, who then shot himself in an early morning altercation in their home, state police said.
Creigh Deeds, who was stabbed repeatedly in the head and torso, has been upgraded from critical to fair condition, a hospital spokeswoman said. His son, 24-year-old Austin “Gus” Deeds, died from his gunshot wound.
- Prayers for the family of Diane Disney Miller, the daughter of Walt and Lillian Disney, on her passing. She died due to complications from a fall. She was 79. Please pray for the strength and comfort of all of the family as they mourn the loss of their wife, mother, and grandmother. However, let’s give praise also for all that Mrs. Miller did in promoting the legacy that her Daddy left behind, and give thanks to God for her life!
- I have a friend in need of prayers for her husband. Here is what she wrote:I need to ask for some prayers. Daniel’s office here in Atlanta closed so he is looking for a job. He has a second interview tomorrow morning for a new position in a different company. Please send prayers that God provides him guidance during his interview and opens the mind and ears of the interviewer to know how valuable he would be to this company. HR is a rough career to have in this economic climate so to find something this quickly would be amazing! Thanks!
- My friend Stephanie posted a praise for little Addison, but a prayer request for her family. Here is what she wrote on Facebook:Please keep the family of little Addison Miles in your prayers. Addison lost her battle with cancer earlier this evening. Heaven has gained a beautiful angel! May God be with her family and bring them peace during this difficult time.
- Amber left this comment last week:Love the prayers every week! Thank you for sharing this with us and I’m sure everyone appreciates all the prayers. Everyone needs prayers! Thank you!
- I have an update on one of our prayer requests! Here is what Lisa wrote — you may remember her prayer request for her husband who had a brain tumor:Thank you for praying. God is good, and surgery was a success! Brain tumor out on Thursday and home on Saturday!! Now we await pathology report to determine next course of action.
My friends, in the end, all we really have to give others is our prayers. Jesus was sent to pay the penalty for our sins — and He did just that — so those of us that call us Christians need to remember that, and do what we can to fulfil the Great Commission, to go out and make disciples of all the world. Not everyone will listen to us — in fact, I would say that 9 out of 10 — or perhaps higher than that — will not listen to us. But, we should not let that stop us. We must keep striving, keep working towards that goal, because if we stand up for our Savior Jesus, He will stand up for us before His Father.
My friends, while it may seem that I’m writing these words to you, let me reassure you that, in many ways, I’m actually writing these words to me — because this is one aspect of my Christian life that I truly need to work on. So, let’s work on this together, shall we?
May God give you all the Blessings in the world. Thank you for reading, and thank you for praying for us, and please, do not hesitate to leave your own prayer requests as well! It is our honor to pray for you and your family! Have a great week, everyone!