Do Not Be Anxious
‘”Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. ‘Matthew 6:25-34
Hello everyone, and welcome to today’s Prayers for the Week post. This has been a hard week for so many of our friends on our prayer lists, and our prayers for them will continue. You can see the complete list we have below, and we love and appreciate all of your prayers each day. As I was preparing this post last night, I had a bit of a struggle in finding exactly what Scripture I wanted to share with you. My wife and I have been reading through the Bible chronologically this year, and I think that we are getting to a point, some 215 days in, where it’s getting hard. Not that we don’t like reading Scripture, I believe we both do, it’s just that we’ve been reading daily all year. I’m not making sense, but the point I’m failing to make is that I was having trouble coming up with verses to share. So I turned to my paper ESV Bible, as opposed to looking at the app, and God directed me first to Job, I was thinking of Job 19:25 “For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth.” and I really like that, but I didn’t feel led to pick it out. So I started thinking about the book of Mark, which the Bible Study I’m attending starting next month is doing a two year study of Mark, but didn’t get a sense of what to write there either. Lastly, I turned to the book of Matthew, and was led to Matthew 6, which you see above.
All of a sudden, the Holy Spirit was telling me that, as hard as it is for Jodi and her family, and for Jennifer and her family, and for Lori’s friends Rex and Barbara, and on and on and on, despite all of the pain they are going through, I know that God wanted them to hear that Scripture. So my friends, please keep praying, as the Apostle Paul wrote, “Pray without ceasing…”, and for all of us out here in this crazy, mixed up world, remember the words of Jesus: “Do not be anxious“.
Now, my friends, please join me in praying for our prayer requests and praises.
Prayer Requests & Praises
- Please keep praying for Laurel’s friend Becky. Here’s the latest update: “They had to increase her oxygen intake as they are concerned about pneumonia. She did open her eyes briefly when prompted. They will do more neurological test Monday and an ECG . Please keep lifting her in our prayers“
- Leslie has a prayer request: “Please pray for my friend Taylor and her family. She’s expecting a baby but is having complications that are life threatening to her and the child. In 2 weeks, they’ll be in the “safe zone” to deliver. But doctors want the baby to ideally cook another 10+ weeks.“
- Leslie also has a prayer request for an Army friend of hers: “An Army friend of mine needs some prayers. He’s in Afghanistan now and 2 soldiers from his unit were just killed in action. He has a wife (also Active Duty) and 2 young daughters stateside. He’s only been deployed for 2 weeks.“
- Sheila has a prayer request for Omar and his father: “My Co-workers father has been a Muslim his whole life while his son has been a Christian for quite sometime. Omar’s father has recently been diagnosed with Cancer and Omar feels that his Dad is finally ready to worship God and covert to Christianity. Omar has asked us to pray for his father that he gets better and that God pushes him in the right direction, whatever that might be.”
- Leslie also has a prayer request for a friend of hers: “Also pray for a close friend who is waiting to receive news on her pregnancy tomorrow. There are a lot of unknowns right now which can weigh on the mind and heart heavily.”
- Pat has a prayer request for one of the ministers at her church: “Please be in prayer for our church’s Care Pastor, Mark Whitaker. He’s young, but had to have open heart surgery this week for the second time in his life. He has had a few complications since then, he is improving some, but could still use prayers. These are the specific prayers his wife is asking for,
Quick update – things are about the same with Mark, athough it they did move him to a chair early this am.
Specific points to pray about:
– respirations to decrease
– BP to stabilize
– heart rate to slow
The nurses are not able to give him much pain meds because of the issues above.”
- Janet has a prayer request from Wednesday. Keep praying for her and her recovery: “About 3.5hrs I will be heading to the hospital for stomach surgery. Prayers would be much appreciated Thank you.”
- Lori asked us to pray for Barbara and her son Rex last week. Here’s an update to that prayer request: “From Rex to all of you:
Thank for all the prayers for mom! She is resting good today. Mom has for a long time had faith in the Lord and we have no doubt where her next home will be.”
- We were praying for Jodi’s brother Tom. Sadly for us, the Lord called Tom home on the 27th. His funeral was this past Wednesday. Please keep their family and friends surrounded in prayer for God’s Peace, Comfort, Strength, and Love to surround them all, especially Tom’s wife Vicki, son Clayton, and daughter Tatum.
- Lastly, Marybeth had asked for prayers for her son, who was undergoing egg testing for allergies. The great news is that he was negative!
- As this was closing down for the night, I learned of the shooting in El Paso, Texas. Please pray for all of the victims, for their families, their loved ones, and for all that are injured. Please keep them close in prayer in the upcoming days.
- Now, please pray for all of the unwritten prayer requests, and also join us in praying the prayer that Jesus taught us to pray:
Our Father, who art in HeavenThe Lord’s Prayer
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will be done
On earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Lead us not in temptation, but deliver us from evil.
For Thine is the Kingdom, and Power, and Glory
Forever and ever.