Prayers for the Week: Truth In Love!
I rejoiced greatly to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as we were commanded by the Father. And now I ask you, dear lady—not as though I were writing you a new commandment, but the one we have had from the beginning—that we love one another. And this is love, that we walk according to his commandments; this is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, so that you should walk in it. For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist. Watch yourselves, so that you may not lose what we have worked for, but may win a full reward. Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works.2 John 1:4-11
Hello everyone, and welcome to this week’s Prayers for the Week post. Earlier this week I heard a message from 2John, and it struck me that this is what I should write about this week. The theme for the message is that we need to proclaim the truth in love — that if we truly love those we claim to love, we need to share with them the truth in love. What do I mean when I say that we need to proclaim the truth to them? Well, from my standpoint, the only truth that is out there is God’s Truth with a capital T. The truth is simple — if you wish to have Eternal Life, you must accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior, and ask for forgiveness of your sins, and follow him with your whole heart, mind, and soul. When you do that, you are accepting the ultimate Truth. Then, taking it a step further, when you, as a believer, see something happen that is against that truth, you need to proclaim to that person what the real Truth is, but do so in love. Gentle, not harsh, is the correct way to proclaim that Truth.
Doing so can be hard to do. In fact, I would say that if we don’t have the Holy Spirit within us, it is downright impossible. For starters, if we don’t have the Holy Spirit within, we don’t know what the Truth is. We may think we know, but all we really know is a worldly view of what the truth is, not a Heavenly view. Also, even if we have been granted a divine providence to perceive the Truth, if we don’t have the Holy Spirit within us, then our selfish, hard, worldly nature will take control, and we will not proclaim that Truth in Love — we will instead proclaim that Truth more in hatred and indignation.
This world is so full of the works of the flesh, as described to us in the book of Galatians: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like this. The only way to combat those works of the flesh is by relying solely on the Holy Spirit, indwelt in us, to keep those works of the flesh at bay. It is the only way to keep our Spirit shining for Jesus, it is the only way to allow the Light of Christ to shine through us in this dark world. So, my friends, we need to proclaim the Truth in Love, so that those we proclaim it to can see the work of Jesus, and can turn to Him for their salvation. It is the only way we can truly bring any change to this fallen world. Please pray with me that we are successful, and pray with us our prayer requests and celebrate our praisies.
Prayer Requests & Praises
- Vonni starts us off with some additional prayer requests. Here is what she wrote: “Well, I know I’ve asked for a lot of prayer this year as I’m battling stage 4 breast cancer but I need y’all to add my brother as we’ve just found out he’s battling stage 4 colon cancer and our favorite cousin who’s battling malt b lymphoma. Our younger brother just got over a different lymphoma so it’s just been a lot. Please pray for us.”
- Lori has a big time praise to share with us all: “Prayers of PRAISE!!!
I’m almost hesitant to post it “out loud”, but I LOVE my NEW JOB!!! What’s not to love? Used less than 1/4 tank of gas this week, lunch @ home with The Girls, AMAZING ERP system that BLOWS the socks off the AS400 dinosaurs I’ve worked on since I got to NC, and really great co-workers!
Oh, and they shut down the office today at 1:00 to cater in lunch for the employees to celebrate meeting 2nd quarter goals, and then took us all bowling for the rest of the afternoon! So nice to finally be with a company that acknowledges that they are only as good as the people who work for them! Probably why it took me 6 interviews to get here; they want the right people!
God is so GOOD!!!”
- We’ve been praying for some friends that are lost at sea. The Coast Guard has been searching for them; this is the latest update from Leslie as of Thursday the 22nd: “At sundown tonight, the coast guard will be suspending their search for Justin and Brian, the 2 firefighters lost at sea. I have no words. Please, pray that they at least find something worthy to continue their search efforts. Please.”
Please keep praying for Justin and Brian. Pray that God’s Peace, Love, and Strength would surround them and their families and friends, and that if it is His Will, that they would be found. Thank you everyone.
- Nikki has a prayer request for clients of hers: “Just spoke with the 3rd client in as many days who has lost their job unexpectedly. All the markers show a recession coming – praying for those who are already affected, and those who will be affected if that comes to pass. And, yes, being in travel sales, I am definitely one of those people along with my fellow TAs on here.”
- Following on that request, Stephanie also has a prayer request: “I’ve worked for the same chiropractic clinic since 1993, and I just got laid off two weeks ago. Thankfully, our upcoming Disney trip is already paid off! I still had my two weeks paid vacation left for this year that I now won’t receive unfortunately.”
- Also, Nikki has an additional prayer request for Katie: “And my best friend just called me in shock – her wife was just told “go home, your position has been eliminated and we no longer need you” – what is happening? I am so sad for them and shocked. She has been with them since leaving the military, and has moved up and around and has had the steadiest of steady jobs. This is going to get worse before it gets better. Please keep Katie in your prayers this morning!”
- Cindy has praises and prayer requests to share: “I start with a praise! My daughter celebrated 2 years clean from opioids last Wednesday! God is SO good! Please pray for me and my family. I have a rental house and have been accepting applications. After spending thousands, that we don’t have, repairing the damage from the last tenant, I pray for wisdom in choosing the best applicant. I also am trying to sell my car as soon as possible to recoup some of the money put out. Lastly, as Jody and I go on vacation next week (thankfully that was paid for in March or wouldn’t happen) I pray for travel mercies, peace (for both of us) as he takes his first plane ride along with good health for us and family at home, and a relaxing trip. Thank you all so much!”
- Jennifer has a prayer request: “Please pray for Mark and I as we are going to Lourdes France, that we will gain spiritual enrichment so that we can deal with my situation. My daughter is staying home with friends please pray that she has a good week as well. also to give my husband the strength and Faith to continue caring for me.”
- Hey everyone, please pray for my friend Pam and her husband Tim. Tim has had complications from kidney stones and has been in the hospital. Please pray for his healing, and for their Comfort, Strength, and most importantly, Peace for them both. Pam is the children’s director at our church. Thanks everyone!
- Lori has a prayer request: “OMG, I had no idea ‘Navy Seasoning’ still goes on, but my niece as now a Chief Mess is going through it. Chantelle stands about 5’1”, the mother of one of great nephews (who we never believed would survive at 27 weeks); my sister is with him now.
They will not not break her. I’m sorry, I am crying, for the pain she is going through.
- Lastly Jason has a prayer request: “Just want to say a quick prayer for everyone in the group and all their friends and family before I zonk out and awaken to a new week. I hope and pray everyone seeing this has a blessed and spirit filled week ahead. If you read this please feel free to join in in lifting each other and everyone up.”
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in HeavenThe Lord’s Prayer
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will be done
On earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Lead us not in temptation, but deliver us from evil.
For Thine is the Kingdom, and Power, and Glory
Forever and ever.