I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade on your right hand. The sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life. The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forevermore.Psalms 121
My friends, my brothers- and sisters-in-Christ, welcome to this week’s Prayers for the Week post. Today we are sharing one of my wife’s favorite pieces of Scripture, Psalm 121. This is such a comforting Psalm, it is a clear reminder to us all that the Lord is looking out for us, and when we are in need of help, He is there for us.
For many of us, we are now seeing our children head off to college for the first time. I know that it is a hard thing for some; it is scary at times, hoping that they make the right decisions now that they are on their own. There are two things that you can do in cases like this (maybe more than two, but these two come to mind) — remember how you raised them to do the right things, and pray for them. Pray without ceasing is part of Scripture, it comes from the book of 1 Thessalonians 5:17, and it is important enough that those three words are its own verse. In times like this, when you are sending off a loved one for the first time, Psalm 121 and 1 Thessalonians 5:17 take on new meaning.
My friends, if you are looking at life and wondering what has gone wrong; if you just don’t know how things are ever going to get better for your life and your circumstances; if you just don’t know what to do next; well, the answer may be that you need to put your complete trust in the Lord, the maker of Heaven and Earth. Give it all to Him. All your cares, all your concerns, all your troubles, all your sin, all your hopes, all your dreams, give it all to Him. Ask Him to forgive you for not trusting Him, tell Him you have put your faith in Him and His son, Jesus Christ, and give it all to Him. If you do this with all your heart, He will help you. I can’t say how, because that is for God to decide, but He will help you, starting by giving you the Holy Spirit, and you will be at Peace, perhaps for the first time in your life.
This video is from the Christian music group “for KING & COUNTRY”, it’s called Shoulders. Please play it, and whatever emotions it draws out of you, let it flow, and embrace the feeling you get.
Now, please join with us in praying for our prayer requests and praises.
Prayer Requests & Praises
- Leslie starts us off with a prayer request for their friend Justin. Please pray that they are found safely. Here’s the alert from the Coast Guard: “Coast Guard crews are searching for Brian McCluney and Justin Walker. They were last seen departing the Christopher Columbus boat ramp in Port Canaveral Friday in a 24-foot center console. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Sector Jacksonville Command Center at 904-714-7558.”
- We’ve been praying for Sheila’s friend Patty, who broke her fibula. The good news is that she doesn’t need surgery, but she will be off her feet for 12 weeks. Please pray for her healing and recovery.
- Jodi has a prayer request for her friend Emma and her kids. Here is all the details: “Please pray for my friend Emma and her kids! A couple of weeks ago, they came home after shopping to find an intruder in their house. He was hiding under her bed with a knife & duct tape. He also killed their dog that they had for a long time. Thankfully, the intruder did not hear them & they were able to get out & police arrested him with their K-9 unit. Emma is a single mom and her kids are teens. I’m sure this will not be an easy thing to move past. I know I would be terrified to ever enter my home again!”
- We are praying for Tabitha’s Dad. Here is what is going on: “Update – my dad got to go home this afternoon. They said he had a TIA stroke which is a mini stroke. He had no side effects from it. Said he needed to watch his diet and get his cholesterol down. Thanks for your prayers!”
- Bridget has a prayer request: “Please pray for a gentleman I met yesterday while working who told me that he is diabetic and also has cancer. He had 3 of the sweetest dogs with him and I could see how much they loved each other. Just breaks my heart.” – in cases like this, we don’t know their name, but believe me, God knows all the details, and hears our prayers for him.
- As always, please pray for those that don’t know how to pray or what to pray, and for those that are lost. Remember, pray without ceasing, and remember where your help comes from. Now, please join us in praying the prayer that Jesus taught us to pray
Our Father, who art in HeavenThe Lord’s Prayer
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will be done
On earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Lead us not in temptation, but deliver us from evil.
For Thine is the Kingdom, and Power, and Glory
Forever and ever.