Hello everyone, welcome to this week’s Prayers for the Week post. Starting today, we’re going to delve into the book of Proverbs. Studying Proverbs is something I’ve wanted to do for a while now, but haven’t committed to doing so before now. I don’t know how many weeks this particular study will go, but for the next several weeks I think we’ll explore some of the incredible testimony that can be learned from this book. For today, we’re going to focus on the beginning verses, listed below:
1The proverbs of Solomon, son of David, king of Israel:
2 To know wisdom and instruction,
to understand words of insight,
3 to receive instruction in wise dealing,
in righteousness, justice, and equity;
4 to give prudence to the simple,
knowledge and discretion to the youth—
5 Let the wise hear and increase in learning,
and the one who understands obtain guidance,
6 to understand a proverb and a saying,
the words of the wise and their riddles.
7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge;
fools despise wisdom and instruction. ~ Proverbs 1:1-7 (ESV)
In many ways, these first seven verses can sum up a lifetime of knowledge for us, if we just take the time to learn these verses. Intelligence can be learned in many ways. You can learn it in school, in reading, in study, and just by living in the world. But true knowledge to me comes from wisdom, from knowing what is smart and what isn’t, from understanding those words of insight. In particular, I like the final verse, verse 7. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.
I think sometimes we all play the role of the fool. We want it our way, we don’t want to do things the way they should be done, we want to do them the way we want them done. We play the role of the fool, and in times like that, we turn away from wisdom, from instruction, from listening to what might be the best course of action and instead sail directly into the path of the storm. The key, I think, is that we not play the fool too often; if we do, we need to recognize the outcome of our course of action, and learn from it. If we can do that, then we’ll start living verse 5: Let the wise hear and increase in learning…
What is your take on the book of Proverbs? Tell us below in the comments, and thanks! Will you commit to studying Proverbs with us? Now, please pray with us the prayer requests and praises we have lifted up this week.
Prayer Requests & Praises
- Mikel starts us off with a prayer request for her sister, Saundra: I would like to ask prayers for my sister Saundra who is having knee replacement surgery this week.
- The surgery had to be postponed a bit because of some tests, so please pray for those tests to stabilize so this can get taken care of.
- Lori has a prayer request: I may have an interview this week. They wanted me to come on Thursday but my boss’s wife is having surgery that day, so I have to be in the office all day. I emailed them back asking if they could see me either tomorrow or Friday (with the reason I could not meet them Thursday). That was late in the day today…..no word back….keep me in your thoughts and prayers.
- Kipp has a prayer request: Guys I have a childhood friend that needs prayer. His name is Len. He is having his kidney removed tomorrow morning. That kidney is so full of cancer. Can we pray for no complications, a rapid recovery, complete containment for the cancer to just that kidney, and wisdom/clarity for those giving him care!!
- UPDATE: Just literally walked back in from hospital! They are saying ….he is cancer free…. it was confined to the kidney….praise God!!
- Linda has a prayer request for her husband: My husband has been receiving treatment for years for a-fib (irregular heartbeat). He had open heart surgery and a valve replacement 11 years ago which helped tremendously. Today, his heart began beating extremely fast and he is now scheduled for a cardioversion (electrical shock to the heart) on Thursday to restore its natural rhythm. Prayers that all goes well or even that his heart regains its normal rhythm on its own before then would be greatly appreciated.
- Update: My husband Dan came through the procedure just fine this morning and is back to being himself. (He even cut the grass this evening)! Now our prayers are that it will “hold”. The doctor said that sometimes this fixes the situation for several years … or it could be for just a few days. Naturally our prayers are that the “correction” will last. Thank you all so very much for your prayers.
- Jodi has a big praise! My brother Ken is scheduled to go home on Monday afternoon! Will have oxygen and nebulizer as he works on strengthening lungs. He’s been so bored at the hospital & rehab. He’ll be so glad to be home!!! Thanks you for and please continue the prayers!
- Lastly, thank you to those that prayed for the Raleigh, NC area during their huge rainfall totals last week. Things have settled back down after over 8″ of rain in some areas.
Do you have any prayer requests you want us to pray over? If so, please leave a comment below and we’ll pray for you! Now, please pray the prayer that Jesus taught us to pray.
Our Father, who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom Come, Thy Will be done
On Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those that trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil.
For Thine is the Kingdom, and Power, and Glory
Forever and ever. Amen.