Hello, my friends and fellow prayer warriors, and thank you for coming to this week’s Prayer for the Week Post. Today, I thought I would discuss with you how hard I sometimes find it to pray, and how I am looking at two different styles of prayer that might help you if you find praying hard also.
The first style of prayer is called conversational prayer, and the way I understand it, it is the process of praying by just having a conversation with God. Just tell Him you are here, what’s on your mind — almost as if you are talking on the phone with your best friend — which, you are, if you think about it.
I think I sometimes get too caught up in the formality of prayer, using phrases like Heavenly Father, and so forth. Instead of saying Heavenly Father, sometimes I just say Dear God — doesn’t that work just as well?
Another form of prayer that I am trying to adopt — but, I’ll admit, I’m struggling with it some — is called the ACTSs method of prayer. ACTSs is an acronym that stands for the following words:
- Adoration — telling God how much you love Him.
- Confession — Confessing your sins to God and asking for His forgiveness.
- Thanksgiving — Thanking God for all of your blessings that He has given to you.
- Supplications — Praying for the things that you need and also the things that others need.
- surrender — Surrendering to God’s Will — usually I close with the Lord’s Prayer at this time.
Both of these styles are effective, I think — especially if you are finding yourself having trouble in your prayer life. Give it a shot! Now, let’s lift up all of the prayer requests and praises we have for this week.
- My friend Dawn left a prayer request on Facebook. Here is what she wrote:Prayers for my Dad. His cancer moved to his spinal cord. UC Davis is starting him on a clinical trial and a new round of chemo on Monday. He did well during the summer with the chemo but just not sure how well he is going to do with this round. Trying to remain positive.
Lord, please hear the Healing Prayers directed towards your Servant so that he may beat this cancer. Please provide your Peace, Comfort, and Strength to him and his family as they struggle with what the future might bring, and please remind them that You are there for them and will take care of them in the good times and in the bad times. We ask these things in the name of Your Son Jesus with Thanksgiving. Amen.
- Please pray for my friend Bambi. She has a surgical procedure tomorrow at 5:30AM (Friday, December 6, 2013). Please pray for God to look after the skillful hands of her team, and heal her of her afflictions, and speed her recovery. Please also pray for peace for her husband Ricci and their two children and all their other family and friends.Thanks, everyone!
- I’ve had an update on Bambi from her husband! Thank you all for praying for her, here is what he wrote on Facebook:Well bam is outta surgery and in recovery now, just got off the phone with dr, they saved 70-80% of her kidney. Will be about another 2 hours before we go back to see her.
- All in all, the recovery for Bambi is going pretty well — she is in some pain, but she is making strides each day.
- My friend Elisha’s uncle passed away over Thanksgiving break. Please lift up his family as they remember their loved one who has been called home to Jesus. We all know that, while we celebrate with our loved ones his ascension to Heaven, it is still hard for those of us left behind to deal with. This is Elisha’s Mom’s last surviving sibling, so please especially lift her up.Thanks,
- My friend Teresa has a prayer request. Here is what she wrote on Facebook:Such a sad night for me. A very special and dear friend passed away tonight. If there are angels in heaven she truly is one now. Rest in peace Margie Pooh… you will always have a piece of my heart.
Please pray with me, Christian Prayer Warriors!
Lord, we don’t know Margie, but what we do know is that Teresa is struggling right now. Please show her how You take care of those that need help by granting your Peace, Comfort, and Strength to descend upon Teresa and all of the other friends and family of Margie. I am worried that Teresa may be having a crisis of faith, Lord, so please, lift her up, and let her see that she can lean on You when tribulations such as this strike our lives. Lord, we don’t know what happened to Margie, but Lord, please be with those left behind. Remind Teresa of Your beautiful Word, as spoken in the Gospel of St. John, 16:33, when Jesus said:
“I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
Lord, we pray this in the name of Your Son Jesus, who died for us, so that we might live, with Thanksgiving each and every day — even today. Amen.
- We have many blessings in our lives, and one of them is the love we have for Stephanie and Shane. They were able to hang out with us for a brief moment on Friday before they drove home, and it was a good time.
- I am blessed with the love of my wife Cindy, and my daughter Sophie. Thank you Lord for these incredible blessings!
- Today I am blessed in that I am helping coordinate the Ordinary Houses of Prayer that I talked about previously. Today we are having a training with the families that have agreed to open their homes for our Ordinary Houses of Prayer, and I am blessed to be able to help these couples pray for God’s Will for our campaign!
Thank you all for stopping by today and during the week and praying for our requests. It is a big deal, and I thank you all for doing so.
May the Lord bless you and keep you safe this week! Amen.
Please pray for my sister Robin — here is what she wrote on Facebook:
Sweet Flash crossed the Rainbow Bridge tonight. He was an amazing dog who brought joy into our lives while stealing the couch!
Flash was a Greyhound that they rescued. He is survived by Lotto, another Greyhound, and was 12 years old — the normal life expectancy for a Grey is 9-10 years. Thank you for praying for Robin and her family.
Huge praise for my friend Bambi! Thank you all for praying for her as she underwent treatment for cancer. Here is the best status update of the day! Praise God, to Him be the Glory — great things He has done, and continues to do!
Hope Everyone had a great weekend.
My wife had surgery and everything went great she is NOW CANCER FREE. PRAISE GOD!!!
My friend Stephanie left a prayer request for Lilly, a little girl who is battling cancer. Here is what was written:
Sometime today the phone will ring with the results from Lilly’s MRI . We will know if the spot they detected on her cat scan is cancer or not. I ask everyone to please pray harder than you ever have for my Lilly. I just want my daughter to be cancer free, to LIVE. To have a life outside those hospital walls. She’s had 4 months living a life outside the hospital, only 4 months in her whole life. We need a miracle, again. Please pray, share, think happy thoughts that our Lilly is cancer free!
Please pray healing prayers for Lilly, lift her up to the Lord, and use the power of prayer to help her overcome her illness. Thank you everyone!
My friend Emily needs prayers for her Dad, who is in critical condition. Here is what she wrote on Facebook:
Thank you so much for those of you who have checked on and prayed for our dad. His condition is very critical right now. His heart, which is normally the culprit, is actually a doing okay. The doctors told us he is “very critical” due to liver failure, which is now causing kidney failure. We just don’t know what is causing it.
Right now, we covet your prayers for healing from our Heavenly Father. We ask that you pray for his speedy recovery, and that God would be glorified in it. Thank you so much for your calls, cards, prayers and support.
Thank you everyone for praying!
Please pray for my friend Lori, who has battled cancer for far too long. Here is what she wrote on Facebook:
Sometimes I want to wave a white flag. Yesterday my doctor called with the results from my biopsy. It came back positive for cancer. The extent of the lymph node cancer is still not known and this is separate. Thursday I will get shots to boost my white count and my surgery is Friday.
Please pray with me:
Father God, it is in times of tribulation such as what Your servant Lori is going through that we turn to You for help. You are the Great Healer, and if You are willing, Lori will be healed of her cancer. Lord, please carry Lori as long as You need to — grant her Your Peace, Your Comfort, and Your Strength to see her through all of this. Lord, please look after her medical team and guide their hands so that they may treat Lori the way You need her to be treated and so that she may be healed of this horrific disease. Despite all of the worry and heartache that Lori is going through, I find comfort in Your Word, specifically Jeremiah 29:11, which fills my heart with Your Peace every time I read it:
Lord, please let Your Word remind Sister Lori of all the good that You will do for her, and let it help her to find the Peace that she needs.
We ask all these things in the name of Your Son Jesus, with Thanksgiving. Amen.