Hello everyone, and welcome to this week’s Prayers for the Week post. Today we are delving into the third chapter of the book of Colossians. There is so much incredible Scripture for us to explore in this one chapter, that I have chosen three verses to share with you. Starting off is Colossians 3:2-3 (ESV):
2Set your mind on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. 3For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. ~ Colossians 3:2-3 (ESV)
I’ll admit, my friends, this week has been kind of hard, particularly from a work perspective. On Monday I learned that one of my friends, one of my good co-workers, is leaving to take a new job. Our organization is in a bit of turmoil right now because of many different factors, and my friends leaving hit a little hard after I had time to settle down and absorb all it meant. That thought, of our work lives, leads me to my next verse from Colossians 3:
15And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful ~ Colossians 3:15 (ESV)
My friends, I’ll readily admit that this week, I didn’t have nearly enough peace in my heart — or perhaps more importantly, I didn’t have nearly enough Peace in my Heart. That has changed, though. Lastly, here is the final selection of Scripture I would like to share with you:
23Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, 24knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ. ~ Colossians 3:23-24 (ESV)
My friends, it dawned on me this week that while I work at my job, and I serve my supervisors, and they instruct me on the path they want me to take for this task or that task, in the end, it is my Lord Jesus Christ — my ultimate Supervisor, my Savior — that is who I really report to, and that is the standard that I must hold myself to as much as it humanly possible. My friends, when I remembered that, the Peace of God, that singular feeling that is unlike anything else I have ever experienced nor ever will in this life — the Peace of God came streaming into me, and I found my cares, my anxiety, my doubts, my fears — they all disappeared. I hope that you are experiencing the same feeling that I am. Now, please take time and read and pray and give praise for our prayer requests and praises. Thank you everyone!
Prayer Requests and Praises…
- My friend Chelsea has a prayer request. Here is what she wrote:I’ve been running a 101-102 fever for two days now and believe I have an ear infection. If you could pray that the antibiotics work and that it’s an ear infection and not something I can pass to the rest of my family.Please pray for healing for her and that she she doesn’t pass it along to her family. Thanks everyone!
- Please pray for my friend Tim. Here is what he wrote:My stepfather was taken back to the hospital yesterday, he had a stroke. Just got home from seeing him and I’m not sure what to think. I’m very worried for Charlie and very much so for my Mother, who has been my rock over the last few years. Their 20th anniversary is next week, I pray they get to share it together. It’s my turn to be my Mom’s rock. Please keep my family in your thoughts.Please pray healing prayers for Tim’s stepfather, and prayers for him Mom and the rest of his family as well. Pray for God’s Peace, Comfort, Strength, and Love to descend upon all of them as they strive for his health to improve. Thanks everyone!
- Please continue your prayers for my friend Sheila’s friend Kitty. Keep her close and pray for God’s Healing touch on her. Also please pray for Peace, Comfort, and Strength for all of her family and friends.
- Please pray for my cousin Brenda on the passing of her father. Here is what she wrote:
Heaven gained another angel this morning. my dad has passed away. I love and miss you so much. Give KJ lots of love for me. R.I.P. Dad
- Please pray for my friend Sylvia on the passing of her dad too. Prayer helps, so please keep praying for her and Brenda in their time of need.
- Please pray for the brother of my friend Debra, who broke his hip after a fall. He also battles an addiction to alcohol, so please pray for him on that regard also.
- Please pray for my Dad as he travels to Massachusetts later this week. It’s been over a year since my Uncle (his oldest brother) passed away. Please pray for Dad’s Peace on this journey.
- Please give praise to my Mom as she celebrated her birthday a couple of days ago. She is doing well, so give praise to God for that as well. Thanks everyone.
- Please pray for the family of Tricia Roos, who is pregnant, but whose baby has trisomy 18, a chromosome disorder so bad that doctors recommended terminating the pregnancy. Roos chose to keep her baby. She’s only at the beginning of her journey, and they will need much, much prayer to face the days ahead.
- Please pray for Sami Caulberg and her Mom. Sami is fighting Ewing’s Sarcoma, and she recently lost her father to cancer. Please pray for Sami and her Mom Lynn, and if you live in the Raleigh area, consider signing up for a 5K run or walk to benefit her and her mom. For more information, please check out the Facebook Page for the race.
- Lastly, congratulations and praise to my friend Doug for his new job. We’re going to miss him, but he is well deserving of it.
Before I close, I want to take a moment and share with you a video that always touches my heart and soul. Being a PBS person, I’ve seen this at work many times, and I have it on my playlist in the car, but the video is even better. Enjoy:
Now, my friends, I hope you enjoyed that. Please pray with me the prayer that Jesus taught us to pray:
Our Father, who art in Heaven
Hallowed by Thy name.
Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will be done,
On earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
And forgive us our Trespasses,
As we forgive those who Trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
For Thine is the Kingdom, and the Power, and the Glory,
Forever and ever. Amen.
Please pray for my friend Linda. Her Granddaughter Tina is only 3 years old and recently had to have an appendectomy. She is still in the hospital. Please pray for her fast healing and safe journey home from Florida.
My friend Sherry asked for prayers for her friend and mine Angie. Here is what she wrote:
At Duke Ambulatory with Angie. Her surgery is scheduled at 7:15. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. Love you kiddo. You will soon be free of pain and feeling great again.
The great update is that she came through the surgery with flying colors, so please continue to pray healing prayers for her and peaceful prayers for Sherry. Thanks!