Hello my friends, and welcome to this week’s Prayers for the Week Post. This week we continue our look at the Fruits of the Spirit. Today we have landed on the third listed in the book of Galatians — Peace!
22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. ~ Galatians 5:22-23 (ESV)
What is Peace?
So much has been written across the ages about the concept of peace. There is peace between nations, peace that is broken when one is an aggressor against another. There is lack of peace the likes of which we have seldom seen in this world as what we see today. But what is peace?
For each of us, the concept of what peace is can be entirely different for each of us. For my daughter Sophie, she described peace as the end result when things are taken care of. She told us that she finds the summer vacation time to be a time of great peace for her because she doesn’t have school things to hassle over. For my wife Cindy, to her, the concept of having peace is knowing that things are taken care of, that they are resolved, and you don’t need to worry about them anymore.
To me, the concept of peace isn’t so much about what I achieve within the world system. To me, Peace is a capitalized word because it truly represents the Peace that only my God, my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, can provide to me.
27Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. ~ John 14:27 (ESV)
The day that Sophie was born was among the most stressful of my life. Cindy was sick, life-threatening sick; Sophie had to be born 7 weeks early, and the doctors were preparing us for the realization that her lungs may not be developed enough, that she might be really tiny, and really really sick herself. As for me, I was a 32 year old never before been a dad before, know idea of what was going to happen, or anything. Yet despite my lack of knowledge, despite the uncertainty, despite the simple fact that I didn’t know what was going to end up happening, despite all of that, I felt an inner Peace inside of me that would not be vanquished, and I knew that Sophie and Cindy were going to be okay. Better than okay, they were going to be great!
My brothers and sisters, while the world was preparing us for the worst, God was lifting us up, and preparing us for the best! He had my back then, and He’s had my back every day ever since. That, my friends, is what Peace really is. Peace is knowing that despite all that the world throws at you, loss of job, loss of home, loss of family, loss of everything — despite all that, God’s Peace, the peace that passes all understanding by our finite brains — Peace will prevail if we let it in to our hearts.
Now, please continue reading and pray with us our prayer requests and praises.
Prayer Requests & Praises
- Jodi starts us off with a prayer request: I have another prayer request, please. I’ve applied to teach ESL online. My interview/demo teaching lesson is this Thursday at 9:00AM (Eastern US time). If I pass that, I’ll have to do 1 or possibly 2 mock teaching sessions before being offered a contract. Please pray all goes smoothly! Thanks!
- UPDATE: OMGosh, that was soooo stressful I cried! LOL! I felt it went horribly, as the interviewer kept stopping me to advise me how to do it better (how to do it right), but in the end, she offered me a very good pay rate and passed me on to the Mock 1 phase. I have a ton of practicing and improving to do before that, which will probably be in a couple days, so please keep praying! Thank you so much!!!
- Lori has a prayer request: Please keep Congressman Steve Scalise and his family & friends in your prayers. He is back in ICU after more surgery.
- Jodi has a prayer request regarding her sister-in-law Sue: My sister-in-law, Sue, passed away last fall. Today (July 3rd) would have been her birthday. Please keep her daughter Cami, son Cody, and my brother Ken (and their families) in prayer today, as this is a hard day on all of them. Thank you!
- Continued prayers for the following:
- Genny and her family — her brother Mark’s service was this past Wednesday.
- My cousins Janet and Susan and all of their family as they see how life is different without my Great Aunt Genette.
- Continued prayers for Alan’s mom Phyllis and her treatment from Crohn’s Disease.
- Continued prayers for my cousin Barb and her husband Tim in their cancer battle – specifically for the genetic testing for a clinical trial.
- Continued prayers for my friend Amanda and her husband Daniel and daughter Cate as they fight the battle for Daniel against his own cancer.
- Continued prayers for Clint, Christine, and all of their family.
- Continued prayers for Karen’s brother Ben.
- Continued prayers for Candice — she lost her Mom last week.
As always, if you have any prayer requests, please share them with us in the comment below! We’ll add them to our list and pray with you and for you.
Now, please pray with us the prayer that Jesus taught us to pray:
Our Father, who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom Come, Thy Will be done
On Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those that trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil.
For Thine is the Kingdom, and Power, and Glory
Forever and ever. Amen.