Hello everyone, and thank you for joining us today as we continue our exploration of the Fruits of the Spirit. This is week six in our series, and for this week, we are focusing on goodness. But first, let’s look at our Bible verses and remind us of the complete list of the fruits:
22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. ~ Galatians 5:22-23 (ESV)
Goodness is something that all humans strive to achieve, and unfortunately, something that far too many of us fail to succeed at. The concept of being good is a noble one, and many people have done many wonderful things on this earth for others. But when it comes to the fruits of the Spirit, the key to remember here is that those fruits are attained when we have the Spirit indwelt within us. If one does not know Jesus, and has not accepted Him as our Lord and Savior, then that person will not have the Holy Spirit within, and consequently, they won’t have any of the fruits of the Spirit.
This past week saw a lot of sorrow, a lot of anguish, but also a lot of Peace, a lot of Comfort, a lot of Strength, and a whole lot of Love. This past Monday, July 24th, the Lord called home his servant, Mrs. Lois Owen Raynor Millwood. If you were to ask Mrs. Millwood, she would probably tell you that far too often she didn’t show the fruits of the Spirit in her life. But if you were to ask me, I would tell you that Mrs. Millwood was the embodiment of what a child of God is, and of how one is supposed to live their life for God. She walked with Jesus daily in her life here on earth, and now, she walks with Him daily in Heaven for all Eternity.
My friends, my brothers and sisters, a lot of good things have been done by non-believers in this world. I’m not saying that there hasn’t been good things done. But the final point I want to make with all of you is that there is a great difference between the goodness that comes from the Holy Spirit, and doing good things within the confines of the world system. Unfortunately, so much of what we see done is in the world system, rather than being for God, and that is why this world is in the mess that it is in.
Before it is too late, before your heart has hardened to the point of no return, I urge you to ask questions, to ask yourself what kind of life you are living, and whether or not you are living a life for God, or a life for yourself. The answer is a life and death answer, choose poorly, and you will regret that choice in the end. If you have any questions on how to make the right choice, ask us. Leave us a comment at the bottom of this post, and we’ll get back to you with more information on how to make the right choice, of how to live a life for God. Now, please pray with us our prayer requests and praises.
Prayer Requests & Praises
- Today we lift up in Praise the life of Lois Millwood to you, God. We thank you for sharing her with us, for using her to enrich our lives, and show us how to live for You. Likewise, we also pray for her husband, Ervin, and for her children, Connie, Rand, and Monica, and for all of their families and friends that miss her. Lord, please be with them, keep them close, and pour out Your Love, Comfort, Strength, and Peace upon all of them in the days and weeks to come.
- Please pray for Kathy, my wife’s cousin. She fell and broke her ankle. Kathy, I hope you feel better soon and that you get a good outlook at the doctor today! Also, please pray for her husband Mark, he fell also and has a broken wrist/arm.
- Brandi has a prayer request, it started for Tuesday, but please keep it going for the next few weeks as well: Please pray for me this week. I start back to work tomorrow. I’m an elementary teacher librarian and had to pack up my whole library for new carpeting to be put down at the end of the school year. Now it’s time to unpack over 16,000 books along with satisfy all the teachers needs. I’m feeling that anxious drowning feeling today and I hate it. I need peace in my heart and a positive attitude. Please lift me up in prayer.
- Stephanie had a prayer request which became a praise: Please pray for safe travels for my 17-year-old daughter, Morgan. She’s flying home tonight from Anchorage, Alaska…a 7 hour flight…and this momma will worry until the plane lands! She’s been on a five week road trip with her grandmother and a family friend, but is flying back alone since school starts in a few days.
- The praise was that she made it home safely with many great adventures to talk about and carry with her!
- Please pray for my friend Melissa — her mother in law is battling cancer, her grandfather is also battling cancer, and they have some battles ahead of them. Please pray for God’s Healing Touch upon them, and for God’s Peace, Comfort, and Strength to surround them all. Thanks everyone!
- Last week, we were praying for Sheila, who had to have eye surgery. She has had the surgery, and it went well, so please pray for her complete recovery, little pain, and a quick return to her normal life. Thanks everyone for praying for Sheila!
- I’ve got a brother in Christ who is in the midst of a mediation with regards to a divorce. Please be in prayer for him, his wife, and their kids as they go through this very difficult process.
- Please pray for my buddy Griff’s mother-in-law, she is having surgery today. The surgery went well, so please keep praying for a complete and quick recovery!
- Please pray for Linda, she is a relative of one of my clients, and is in the hospital. I don’t have any details, so please remember her in your prayers. Thanks!
- Please pray for the family of Joie Eble. Mr. Eble lived down the street from us, and he passed away on Wednesday. Please pray for his wife Sandy, his children Kevin and Michelle, and all of their families. Mr. Eble was my Cub Scout leader, he always called me Mickey Moose. He will be missed.
- Mikel has a prayer request: I would like prayers for my sister Saundra as she had knee replacement surgery today. The surgery went well and quick so prayers for her recovery and God’s strength for the upcoming painful rehab.
- Robin has a prayer request: Little man is back in the hospital his heart rate keeps going too low so he will be at the hospital for a while. This is from my high school classmate Carla regarding her grandson Dyrell. He has many medical needs and this baby needs prayer. His mama is Hilary and needs prayer as well as daddy.
- We had been praying for Jodi’s Father in Law, here is an update, with Praise and also continued prayer: Update on my father-in-law: For those new to the group, he had an accident several months ago and received a very severe head injury, which brought with it some very difficult challenges, as that type of injury affects emotional response, memory problems, and other issues. Anyway, my husband talked to him yesterday and was relieved to hear him sounding *almost* normal! He finally acknowledges that yes, he did in fact have a head injury and understands that he is still not fully healed. (Remember part of the problem was that he denied he was injured, said the doctors didn’t know what they were doing, was mad his wife/others hid his car keys, etc.) His temperment has greatly mellowed, and he’s back to being more like his old self. He remembers long-term things but still has no recollection of what happened. Although he is improving a lot, he still needs prayer, because the skull fracture has still not completely closed. Any injury to that area could start it all over again. He has another scan in September, so please keep praying for complete healing! And thank you for praying for him all this time!
- Amanda has a prayer request for her husband, Daniel: We finally have an appointment with an oncologist at Emory on Friday to see about getting into a clinical trial for my husband. Please pray that he qualifies for a trial and that he gets placed quickly. He will have been 6 weeks without treatment. He’s in a lot of pain and very exhausted. The tumor in his abdomen (at least I hope it’s the one that has been there and not a new one) has grown to where we can feel it. We are looking at it as one of 2 things will happen – the trial will be a success or this is the end of our journey. It breaks my heart to think that way but we have to start preparing. Thank you all for your prayers!
- Lastly, please pray for all of those that just don’t know what to pray, or how to pray, or even that they need to pray. This world is falling apart, so pray that we all might find that Peace that only a relationship with Jesus can bring!
Lastly, please pray with us the prayer that Jesus taught us to pray:
Our Father, who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom Come, Thy Will be done
On Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those that trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil.
For Thine is the Kingdom, and Power, and Glory
Forever and ever. Amen.