Hello everyone, and welcome to today’s Prayers for the Week post. Last week we looked at faithfulness, the seventh word that was mentioned as a fruit of the Spirit by the Apostle Paul. Today, we look at gentleness. But first, let’s look at our Bible verses again to refresh them in our minds:
22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. ~ Galatians 5:22-23 (ESV)
People, the concept of gentleness is a foreign one for this world. There is so much non-gentle behavior, I could go on for days just listing the examples. Examples that include violence towards others, verbal attacks on all sides, verbal abuse towards children and adults alike, and on and on.
However, if you are to look really carefully, and see what goes on beyond the news headlines, I can show you countless acts of gentleness that may just give you hope. Gentleness is a fruit of the Spirit as Paul tells us in the Galatians passage, and it is when you see true gentleness on display that you see a person that has their name written in the Lamb’s Book of Life.
Look for those acts of gentleness, and emulate them as best you can. Keep your eyes open for the true acts that represent the fruits of the Spirit in our lives, and perhaps if enough of us do so, the violence and anger that currently invades this world will be withdrawn some, and we can see true Peace come to this world. As the saying goes, “Let there be Peace on Earth, and let it begin with me.”
Now, please pray with me and give praise for this week’s prayer requests and praises.
Prayer Requests & Praises
- Our prayers start off with prayers for all of the people affected in the violence in Charlottesville yesterday. Such hatred, such terror, such violence. Words escape me on what to write.
- We also lift up prayers for the family of Bryan Murray, former coach for the Washington Capitals, who passed away yesterday from colon cancer at the age of 74. Please lift up all of his family in their grief.
- Barb has a prayer request: Please pray for our 6 month old puppy. She is currently undergoing surgery for Intussusception, which is an intestinal thing. Pray for a quick recovery and no lasting side effects!
- The good news is that the procedure was a success. Here’s what the problem was: Renny’s surgery is done! She did great! It was a piece of string wrapped around the base of her tongue, down to her intestines! They’ve never seen that in a dog, only cats! Her tongue will likely be sore, so we need to feed her canned food for a week or so, but she’ll be fine!
- Last week we were praying for Ilene’s dog Cooper. We have a praise report! Cooper is home with his mom tonight! Thank you, Lord! He means the world to his Mom. He still is limping but hopefully that will heel when the strain/swelling on his spinal cord comes down – he is one very lucky dog in so many ways! I am thankful that he will be sleeping in his Mom’s arms tonight. Thank you again for all your prayers!
- Leslie has a prayer request: A good friend of mine is going through some major losses. One traumatic death in her family/close circle of friends a week, for the past 5 weeks. She asks that we especially lift up her husband, Chris, Diane, Todd and Austin, Tammy and Sissy, Casey and Meghan.
- We have an update on Shannah, it’s not good news so far: Update: Shannah (liver/kidney failure) is now critical, and they’ve told her husband to notify family. Please keep her and her family, esp. 3YO son, in prayer!
- Please pray with me for Shannah: Lord, we confess that we are unable to comprehend why you call some of us sooner than others. Please be with Shannah and her family, Lord, give them Your Peace, Comfort, Strength, and Love. Lord, if Shannah hasn’t chosen You, we pray that she would choose the path to Eternal Life, and that her life, as short or as long as it is, would be a testimony to You. Lord, please be with them, especially her young son, that he would know You in time, Lord, and that he would be reunited with his mom one day in Heaven with all of you. Lord, we pray for one last miracle, that You would grant Shannah and her family the miraculous healing that only You can provide, Lord, and we pray for all of these things in the wonderful name of your Son, Jesus. Amen.
- And then, another update on Shannah. Please keep praying for her and her family: Update on Shannah: Another complication. Her body is spilling sugar into her bloodstream causing very high blood sugar readings. They are giving her insulin but they don’t know where it’s coming from.
- Stephanie has a prayer request for her Daddy: Please be in prayer for my daddy! He apparently had a heart attack sometime yesterday, but was too stubborn to go to the hospital. He’s feeling better now, but they’re doing tests to see what, or if any, damage was done.
- Stephanie’s Daddy needed some stents inserted, and then we have this praise report: I just wanted to thank everyone for the prayers for my daddy. He was released from the hospital today. God is good!!!
- Pray for Pam’s husband Ronnie. Today he receives a PICC line as part of his treatment. Pray for a successful procedure!
- Pray for Amanda’s husband Daniel. He had a procedure done that will hopefully help.
- Mrs. Lucas has a prayer request: Please pray for my friend, Madge. She has a leaky aortic valve. She is going to Duke on the 24th to see if the Dr. can do a non invasive fix. Her cardiologist in her home town said she would not make it with the open chest version! Thank you for your prayers! ( Mike, her family lived at the end of East Maple in the the 70-80’s)
- Lastly, I’ve got a big praise report — praises for my Wife of 17 years, Cindy, on our anniversary this past Friday. I love you honey!
Now, please close with us by praying the prayer that Jesus taught His Disciples and us to pray:
Our Father, who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom Come, Thy Will be done
On Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those that trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil.
For Thine is the Kingdom, and Power, and Glory
Forever and ever. Amen.