Welcome to those of you joining me from Disney on Wheels and those of you just hopping aboard. I am the 2nd stop on our Magical Blogorail.
My DisneySide emerges…
In 1979, the summer after my Grandparents retired to Florida, my Mom, Sister, and I went to visit them, and being the Grandparents they were, they took us on a trip to Walt Disney World! When I walked under the railroad tracks for the Walt Disney World Railroad, and emerged in Town Square and Main Street, U.S.A., I remember the feeling I had, that no matter what I did that day, nothing would compare with the feeling that I had arrived. I didn’t know this at the time, and it has taken many years, my wife, and my daughter to bring it out, but that day in 1979 was the start of My DisneySide.
As I got older, my DisneySide would take a little bit of a back seat at times, because in my early years, I didn’t get to experience Walt Disney World as much as I would have liked to. I went that first time in 1979, and again in 1983 when Epcot opened, and one more time when I went to what was then MGM, but after that, it would over a decade until I would visit again with Cindy in the year 2000. To this day, I credit that first trip with Cindy as the trip that really kicked my DisneySide into high gear.
My DisneySide grows with my family…
The two pictures — as poor as they are — are representative of the change in me with the birth of our daughter Sophie. These lithographs — a set of four that still hang in Sophie’s room to this day — were a free gift at the Disney Store when we purchased the Disney movie Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The movie was purchased before Sophie was even born! That was the continuation of the evolution of my DisneySide!
My DisneySide important points…
Finally, let me share with you a quick list of some of my other DisneySide moments. I’m sorry for the length of this post, but when you talk about your DisneySide, sometimes you can’t be brief!
- 2005: Sophie’s first trip to Walt Disney World, with her best friend Riley.
- 2006: The one day trip to the Magic Kingdom Sophie took with us and her Meemaw!
- 2007: Our first trip to Disney where we stayed on property!
- 2008: Our second straight trip staying at Coronado Springs Resort!
- 2009: Our first trip staying at Port Orleans French Quarter.
- 2010: The time we surprised Sophie with Stephanie joining us, and the year we bought our DVC property!
- February 2011: My first Magical Blogorail post!
- 2011: Staying at Bay Lake Tower with Nancy, Otis, Anna Jane, Sherry, and Stephanie!
- October 2011: Seeing the Food & Wine Festival for the first time, and also visiting for the 40th Anniversary of Walt Disney World!
- 2012: Staying at Kidani Village with Monica, Maddie, Kerry, Neal, River, and Izaiah!
- February, 2013: Signing on as a part time travel agent with Pixie Vacations!
- June, 2013: Taking a trip to Disneyland for the first time, and meeting Sheila and her family!
- July, 2013: Staying at the Grand Floridian! Incredibly blessed!
- June, 2014: Staying at Bay Lake Tower again, this time with Leigh Ann and Riley, and Sheila, Randy, and Miss J.!
I think you can see that my DisneySide has blossomed into what some would call an obsession! As for me, though, I think it is just a true love for all that Walt Disney brought to this world that we live in, and the legacy that he left in 1966. In a nutshell, I guess my DisneySide is my attempt to keep the ideals that Walt Disney lived his life by in my life, and to instill that love of life and the simple things into the life of my family so that they can continue to pass it along. Thank you for stopping by, and remember to make every day a Disney Day!
Thank you for joining me today. Your next stop on the Magical Blogorail Loop is Disney Babies Blog.
Here is the map of our Magical Blogorail should you happen to have to make a stop along the way and want to reboard: