Of Walt’s Nine Old Men, perhaps the two that you hear the most about — if you know of the nine old men at all — are Frank and Ollie. Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston are both Disney Legends, and were born within a month of each other in 1912. Frank’s birthday was September 5, 1912, one day after and one year before my grandpa was born. Ollie was born on Halloween in 1912. The two would meet at Stanford when they were in college, and a lifelong friendship was struck.
Archives for August 2013
By Mike Ellis.
Hello everyone, and thanks for coming to visit today at My Dreams of Disney! Today I have a confession to make — I have a fear of ferris wheels! When I was a kid, I read way too many horror books about the freak in the funhouse who stalked everyone at the carnival, and as a result, I became convinced that the ferris wheel would fall apart right when I made it to the top. If you were to ask my wife and daughter, they would tell you that I would be as far away from the ferris wheel as possible!
Hello everyone, and welcome to this week’s Wordless Wednesday post. As you all know, the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop is hosted by my good friend Deb from Focused on the Magic, and this week, the theme is “Disney Letter N”. As a result, I’ve decided to go with all nighttime shots — except for our first one. In the picture of Sophie with Princess Jasmine and the Genie, the Genie was trying so hard to get her attention! As you can see, though, Sophie wasn’t having any of it!
By Mike Ellis.
Hello everyone, and welcome to this week’s Tiggerific Tuesday Trivia! Today we are taking a look at an attraction that has been re-themed — Goofy’s Barnstormer! Now the Great Goofini, the ride is I think the same more or less, but if I’m wrong, please correct me.
By Mike Ellis.
Hello everyone, and welcome to My Dreams of Disney! Today we are going to take a look at character meet and greets that you can experience! This post is special because I’m sharing photos from the summer, when we were blessed to be able to go to both Disneyland and Walt Disney World this year! Have a look and tell me what photos you like the most! Thanks, and have a great day!
Hello everyone, welcome to this week’s Prayers for the Week post. In what seems to be the norm these days, there is a lot of grief and sorrow in the world today. So many things that need to be lifted up to God, but before we do that, I want to direct your attention to the scripture found in this week’s image from Psalms 88: 1-2 (NIV):
“Lord, you are the God who saves me; day and night I cry out to you. May my prayer come before you; turn your ear to my cry.”
If you take the time to read the entire Psalm 88, you will see that it that God has totally forsaken the writer. This whole Psalm is one of sorrow; so why am I focusing on it? Because, despite the trials and tribulations that seem to be happening, we know that if we put our Faith and Trust in God, He will deliver us. There are so many places that He promises us that He will be there for us, but to me, one of my favorite verses of the Bible is to be found in John’s Gospel, chapter 16, verse 33:
“I have told you these things so that you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world!” ~ Jesus, as He said to the Disciples prior to his betrayal.
My friends, there is so much grief and anguish in the world, in many ways, the only thing that I know of to do is turn to God; give Him your all; ask Him what His Will is for you, and follow it. If you don’t know God, please let me know. There are people that can help you know Him so that He can know you!
- Russell left a prayer request for us last Sunday; here is what he wrote: “Please say a prayer for me. I have Parkinsonism now I was told I have a deep Brain tumor. Tomorrow I will be seeing my Neurogist and a Brain Surgeon.”This was my reply to Russell, please pray along with me:“Lord, your servant Russell has health problems, that you know all about. Please Lord, if it is in your Will, please heal Russell of all of his afflictions; also, please guide the hands of his medical team as he deals with all of these conditions. Lord, we also pray for Russell’s family — please help them in their sorrow and worry, keep them close, allow them to help Russell, and grant the whole family Peace, Comfort, and the Strength to deal with this and to help Russell through these ordeals. Lord, while his body may be suffering, please keep his Faith strong, and his Mind sharp, so that the can give as much time as possible to You and Your Word, and use him as a shining example of the Glory of God. It is in the name of your Son Jesus that we pray with Thanksgiving! Amen.”
- Please pray for the family of my friend Mary; her son was lost last night to Pancreatic Cancer after a 2 year battle. Pray for their family, for his wife, for all of them to have God’s Peace in their time of grief, and pray for their comfort and strength as the pick up the pieces that we call life. Thanks everyone!
- Please pray for my friend Dave and his family; their dog Annie passed away after 13 years. Here is what Dave wrote: “Our sweet Annie dog after 13 years with the family went gently to doggy heaven in my lap tonight. She was the best dog ever, brave, loyal, true, sweet, friendly, loving and calm.”
- Also, my cousin Beth went with one of her friends as she had to lay her dog down; please be with her also. I don’t know Beth’s friends name, but God does, and He will be with her.
- Please also pray with me regarding all of the killings that we have been reading about that involve teenagers doing the killing. In my opinion, this is further evidence that our world is fallen, and even more of a reason to make sure you know Jesus and that He knows you!
- Lastly, please pray for all of our unknown prayer requests; those requests that we haven’t been told about. There are millions of them out there, so please pray for them as well!
- We have now had Regan for one week, and he has really done well in his fur-ever home! Praises to God for him in our lives, he truly is a Gentle Giant!
- This prayers for the week post is a small ministry of mine, and I don’t do it for any accolades at all. However, I would like to give praise to Stephanie, who wrote last week:“I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy reading your prayers every week. While I read your prayers, I say my own prayers for family, friends, and people in my community. God Bless!!“
- Lastly, a special thanks and praise to all of my family and friends, wherever they are! I have so many, in that regard I am such a blessed man!
As always, this prayer post is for you — if you have any prayer requests, please share them with us so we can pray over you! Thank you for reading and praying for these prayer requests!
“May God Bless You and keep you.
May the Lord make His face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you.
May the Lord lift up His Countenance upon you, and give you Peace.”
A few weeks back, I did a series of informal polls; one about your favorite Magic Kingdom Mountain, one about your favorite Magic Kingdom show, and lastly, one about your favorite Magic Kingdom attraction!
I’ve got to tell you, this one wasn’t even close! Coming in with 91 likes, comments, and shares was Peter Pan’s Flight! Some of the great comments about this attraction included the following:
Wrote my friend Donna Kay Disney, “It’s our favorite ride!! We always ride it multiple times.”
Added Stephanie, “Peter Pan’s Flight is always our first ride of the day…a family favorite!!”
Barbie wrote,“This ride has been a favorite for a long time but seeing my small grandchildren’s look of wonder on their little faces made it even more a favorite !!!!”
And the comments went on and on and on! Thanks everyone for contributing to the post!
Coming in second place was Pirates of the Caribbean. I thought the voting would be closer, but since this is a VERY unscientific poll, take the results with a grain of salt! From a personal perspective, I like Pirates better because it is a great ride that almost never has a long wait, unlike Peter Pan; so I can ride it multiple times versus only once with Peter Pan. Not that I dislike Peter Pan’s Flight — because I love it — but I really like the speed with which I can ride Pirates!
Of the three attractions I listed here, I guess I would put the Haunted Mansion in 3rd place. I like the Haunted Mansion, and we ride it at least once every time we go to the Magic Kingdom, but it isn’t the top thing on my list of things to do.
Thank you for participating in our little informal poll! What do you think about these attractions? How do you rank them? Let me know in the comments, and thanks everyone!
Welcome to my Wordless Wednesday post! As always, special thanks goes out to my friend Deb from Focused on the Magic for hosting this weekly series! This week, I have a little better idea of what a Disney Weenie is, so let’s get right to it! The picture at the top is my favorite picture of Spaceship Earth, the Weenie that I think of for Epcot. I love the different colors displayed on the dome in that shot, it is so cool how Disney makes everything so vibrant, and it focuses on one of the best times to visit Disney — in the evening!